Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Suffering is...and so we love and love and love again.


Loves, look, I'm sorry, but I honestly don't know what to say about AZ, Kansas, Uganda, everything in Russia...I don't know what to say about situations like the one the Pelletier family finds themselves in now (and there are so many other families out there fighting the same kind of battle)...I don't know what to say about places in the world where all has turned violent as people aim for fairness, justice, peace.

Segregation blows.

I hate seeing governments trying to segregate gay and lesbian people as much as I hate being told my husband or son can't attend an event with me because it is for women only under the guise of "empowering" women. I hate seeing institutions tear apart families like the Pelletiers in the name of mental health as much as I hate being told that men and women grieve differently so the support group meetings are being held separately. I hate that when people head out with the best of intentions to fight for peace, justice, and fairness, we all become the *fight* and not the peace, nor the justice, nor the fairness.

The longer I live, the more I understand the Buddhist lineages that teach: Suffering *IS*.

We can't change it, end it, make it be different. All we can do is take response-ability for how we each respond to it. So for me personally, I have to find ways to let go of that hate I feel when hearing all these various stories. I have to find ways to love and love and love again. Be love. Offer love. Speak love. Foster love. Hope that modeling love will convince another to embrace it, too. And thereby, maybe we shift things one person at a time.

Is that enough? I don't know. Can love really work that way? I don't know. But this is the only reply I can think of in the face of all this suffering.

And in the same breath, I have always hoped that Lawrence was right:


Maybe the twist is that we stamp our feet, dancing, with the new power of love to make it happen?
Miracles,
k-

2 comments:

  1. Love is the answer. It is hard to change the paths of others but you can change your own path. Your path filled with love and light can inspire those around you. I try to do what I can do. The things that make me happy and how that the example that I live will inspire thoughs around me to live like that as well. Oh world, why hath thou these heartaches.

    ReplyDelete

The platform is all yours :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...